Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Decisions, decisions


One week from today, British Columbians will have the opportunity to vote. Although this is a provincial election, I suspect its after-effects will extend much farther afield.

I've been inundated by messages -- emails, newspaper ads, spots on television and radio. And yes, I've decided how I'll be voting, at least on one of the ballots.

One of the most important aspects of this election is being ignored -- the issue of the Single Transferable Vote (BC-STV). Of the many times I've voted, only once has 'my' candidate been elected. That leaves me feeling disenfranchised. No wonder so many people don't bother going to the polls.

This time, it's important for each of us to get out -- not only to cast a ballot for a representative for the riding (even if the choice seems futile, it's a right and a civic duty to vote).

More importantly, it's time to say YES to BC-STV. Anything would be better than the current past-the-post where a government elected by fewer than 40% of the population can have such a lopsided majority and can do what they please. Besides, it was a council of citizens (not politicians) who came to consensus on this being the fairest system, so who am I to argue that some other proportional method might be better?

What it really comes down to is that I'm sick of having government that's By the Rich For the Rich.

But if this sort of decision-making feels too heavy for you, here's another decision to weigh: Did Coldplay rip off Cat Stevens with their song? Listen and decide.

4 comments:

Skinny Dipper said...

Thanks for supporting BC-STV.

hg said...

How could I not support it!? It's in all of our best interests to have a system of government that represents more of us.

Anonymous said...

thanks for your thoughts on the STV .. it's a tough one to get one's head around ... in fact, this whole BC Election is perplexing .. lol!

Two interesting articles:

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/bc-election/Sterk+cranky+NDPer/1573115/story.html

and

http://www.libbydavies.ca/blog/2009/04/24/stv-thing

Hummmm ... I'm going to have to have a second coffee this morning just to get my head around Sterk voting Reform, Conservative, BCLiberal ... and how that reconciles with her platform of legalizing street drugs and believing that troubled "youngsters" are the reason Vancouver is experiencing daily murders ... I'm a little confused ... to say the least ... Maybe it's just that it's a big job and it's hard for me to get my head around it (smile) ...

Only three more sleeps to decide ...

hg said...

Thanks, Anon, for those two links. They didn't work for me, but were easy enough to paste in to the URL line.
Libby Davies' blog notes were honest-sounding (how refreshing to be able to say that about words from a politician!).
I agree, STV isn't perfect. But just think -- if it had passed last time, we'd certainly be embarking on a new look to our Legislative Assembly.
Heck, for a change, my vote might even result in a sitting member!