Thursday, June 23, 2011

Paintbox memo

 
When we were visiting Glacier National Park, we saw a lot of artists painting landscapes en plein air. While out walking, I had a nice chat with one of those painters. She claimed her picture wasn’t ready to be captured in a photo, but didn’t mind my shooting an image of her well-used paintbox.

Since then, I’ve received terrible news – a friend was suddenly killed in a car accident. Although I’m still shaken by the fact, I’ve been able to think about the fragility of life and how important it is for each of us to do the things we’re here to do. Whether that’s painting or quilting or scribbling words or baking pies – or even just making sure we’re good to each other – it’s important that we use well whatever ‘paintbox’ we may have been given. And I know he'd want me to carry on, enjoying every stage of this long journey, especially the next one.

No comments: