Friday, February 05, 2010

A very nice break

It seems I’ve spent most of the last month sorting papers and books. Considering my packrat ways, this is probably a good thing. Still, it isn’t a whole lot of fun.

But today provided an opportunity for a wonderful break. I was invited to Alexandra Neighbourhood House to do a mini-workshop with a group of young writers. They were welcoming, and best of all, willing to try new things and share the results. And some of their results were pretty amazing. When it came to thinking outside the box and applying imagination, they were pros.

Their goal is to create a small book for publication. So, besides leading them in some writing exercises, I passed around a sampling of some of the chapbooks I own. I think this infusion of new design ideas might find fruition when they make their own booklet.

After such a productive-feeling time, I was left with a head full of good thoughts. So I decided to nourish those with a walk on the nearby beach. What a great start to a weekend!

2 comments:

loispeterson said...

Thanks for doing that, Heidi. The group enjoyed your visit.

hg said...

Thanks for the comment, Lois. Please let the group know how much I enjoyed hearing them read what they'd written -- and that I send them all best wishes for their coming anthology!