Friday, December 12, 2008

Where's Australia?

Now that I've had a chance to look through the Golden Globe nominees, I have to say I'm disappointed.

I can't help but think some of this has to do with the way the film appears to have been marketed -- as a romance, full stop.

But hey, Australia is a whole lot more than that. It's history and scenery and excitement and tension -- ingredients we don't usually get in a single film anymore. Its thematic fabric is even richer. Racial discrimination, overcoming enormous odds, respect for cultural traditions, the importance of following moral principle -- oh yes, the power of love is in there too, but it's certainly not the only element.

Yes, it's a romance, but then so was African Queen, only I don't think that film was pigeon-holed like this one is. Thankfully too, Australia doesn't go over the top with ridiculous sex scenes (the way that other film with Nicole Kidman, Cold Mountain, did).

My vote says there ought to at least be recognition for David Wenham's supporting role as Neil Fletcher. And I wouldn't mind something for Brandon Walters (Nullah) either.

No comments: