Thursday, February 29, 2024

Leapin' lizards!

Although I couldn't find a photo of a lizard in my files, I did find one of this beautiful metal iguana, a piece of sculpture that lives in a friend's rock garden--just the kind of spot a lizard would be sure to enjoy. And as it turns out, an iguana is at least a variety of lizard. Whew! 

The Leapin' Lizards quote is attributed to Annie, the little orphan girl of cartoon fame. And it turns out she's not such a bad choice to think about today, as she was 'born' on February 29th, 1924. 

Yep, Leap Day, that 'extra' day in February that gets added every four years (or nearly so, there are a few rare exceptions).

When I sought out a list of famous people born on this date, I found that for most of them, that date of birth was practically their only claim to fame. The only ones who made much sense to me were the athletes born on this day, who maybe are better at leaping than most. Hmmm. 

Although there's not really much in the way of formal celebrations for Leap Day/Leap Year, some people do manage to find ways to do so. As for me, about the only 'leaping' I did today was when the darn phone rang before seven this morning. Sure enough, a robo-call, not at all worth the leap. 



No comments: