Monday, May 02, 2022

Indie Bookstore Day on the Sunshine Coast

It was a great day to be able to visit BC's Sunshine Coast.

First on the agenda was a reading at Gibsons Public Library. It was one of the first times I'd been able to read to a live audience -- but not only a live group, but some Zoom participants as well. 


Afterward I zipped up the 101 to Sechelt and Talewind Books, a store about which I'd heard many a tale (all good). My reason for any urgency? Saturday was Independent Bookstore Day

With some guidance from the very helpful employee, I bought a few books, including the most remarkable treasure, The Lost Words. Its subtitle: a book of spells, suggests its purpose is to conjure back words that were removed from a widely-used dictionary whose editors had decided the words were no longer all that relevant to childre. Dandelion, Raven, Fern. Really?

All in all, a wonderful find -- and truly, all because I encountered a human being/worker in an independent bookstore who led me to a book I am sure I will value always. 

No comments: