Monday, November 11, 2019

Lest we forget


This morning when the big planes did their flyover for Remembrance Day, it was hard to not get teary. There's something about that sound of old propeller planes...

The white stones in the graveyard are all marking veterans, from more than one war, but all of them people who died too young.

I heard a young girl being interviewed about November 11th, and while she wasn't sure what a veteran is, she had a strong notion of what a soldier is. As she put it, someone who fights for peace. While it's kind of an oxymoron, I was glad of her understanding, as at least peace is a noble outcome.

2 comments:

Janet Vickers said...

We were always led to believe that those who joined to military and who went to fight a war it was to defend their country, to protect those at home, that it was a selfless ideal. I believe that up until the last decade we all believed that. So I like that little girl in your post.

Helen Bruns said...

That sound you mentioned, about the planes flying over - although remembering it as much from old movies(think Greer Garson, or Gregory Peck)as from in person, does still literally remind me of the song "White Cliffs of Dover" which my folks sang from back in that day. It saddens me to see so much politicization of war that it must be really challenging for a young person - setting out to join up for an ideal that might not even be held or adhered to by those in charge. I Thank the Veterans for your sacrifices, and God Bless them all!