Monday, January 28, 2013

A not-so-nice surprise


When I looked out my office window yesterday afternoon, this was the sight that greeted me.

Where this chop-job now lies rotting stood three magnificent trees -- a Western hemlock, a Douglas fir and the tree considered sacred by many First Nations peoples, a Sitka spruce. There's a glimpse of their thick branches on a post from earlier this month, when the digger was creating the hole for the new home's foundation.

This happened Saturday afternoon, when both of us were away for an overnight in the city.

Clearly, there's nothing that can be done now.

I'd sure like to be able to fly over the fence to count the rings in that biggest stump. That's about the only honour I can think of that might bring some small honour to this mess.


1 comment:

Kimmy said...

This is incredibly heartbreaking. The same thing is happening to my sister-in-law's home in Calgary. All the trees: gone. I'm so grateful I live in an area zoned for bungalows.