Sunday, October 04, 2009

High in the sky -- a reminder

Last night's (okay, early this morning's) full moon was so bright it pulled me out of bed.

It was the proverbial harvest moon, celebrated in songs old and newer. If you'd like to know more background about the name, you might enjoy this story 's explanation of the name's origin.

Today was also the annual 'Run for the Cure' and it sounds as though Vancouver's run drew about 10,000 participants.

One of the reasons I'm always aware of the full moon is that I use it as a monthly reminder to check my breasts for changes or lumps.

If you're a woman who doesn't regularly check your breasts, here's a fairly long (7 minutes) but very clear video on how to go about doing this important self-check.

One thing I still don't understand about last night's light show is why the moon seemed so much higher in the sky (almost directly overhead) than usual. If anybody has an idea, please let me know.

2 comments:

Janet Vickers said...

fabulous photo!

hg said...

Thanks for the compliment! Though I'll admit this pic is a bit of a cheat.
It wasn't taken with my little point-and-shoot digital and it isn't a recent shot.
This was taken in 2002 when we lived in Queensland, Australia. So it's likely that even the 'face' on the moon isn't quite what we're used to seeing here.