Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Depressed?

Being an old hand at the art of being depressed, I've devised my own ways of describing it.

For me, it isn't so much a matter of being sad all the time. Heck, given the right companionship or joke, I can laugh long and loud. But just because I'm laughing or joking doesn't mean I'm not depressed.

It's more as if a button has been pushed in, and then, uckily (stickily?) it won't come 'unpressed'. It's as if it's stuck in 'pressed-in' (de-pressed) mode.

It's a nasty one to deal with, as it has a way of interfering with almost everything I need or want to get done.

Where this is Mental Health Week, there's a drive on to help people determine whether they're depressed. If only to give yourself a free online check-up -- or to find out more info on behalf of someone you love, make a stop at Beyond the Blues. Heck, it might even make you feel happy.

1 comment:

Janet Vickers said...

Blogs such as yours help me to feel less depressed because you speak of the things the rest of us fight so hard to ignore. Depression is a natural condition for the sensitive members of a society that lives in denial. The sensitive people sense, see, read and think about why and how, knowing we are not 'isolated units competing for the most of what each of us want'.