Wednesday, October 06, 2021

A Tail of Two Countries

Because part of my morning included a drive to the airport, I had occasion to drive along one of my favourite roads, Zero Avenue

That may seem like an odd name for a street, but considering where it's located, it makes perfect sense. 

It runs along the Canada/US boundary, a space that for years has been proudly known as the world's longest undefended border. And yes, the trees and greenery on the right side of the road are the USA while those on the left are Canada. As for who paints the yellow line on the road, I'm not sure. 

Sadly, though it may be undefended by military forces, the border hasn't been open for travel for over a year and a half -- at least not to those of us from Canada who might want to head south. And yes, we all know (and are probably tired of) the reason for that. 

But on such a beautiful day as this one, I can't bear to dwell on anything negative. 

Instead I'll just offer a small explanation of the silly title I gave this post. 

Both when I was driving east on Zero and when I was going westward towards home, I spotted a bit of wildlife (okay, just a black squirrel) and who knows, maybe it was the same critter both times, but he (she?) was crossing the border, something I'm still not permitted to do.  

And I must admit, I am looking forward to be able to exercise the same freedom as that squirrel indulged in. 

2 comments:

Pam Galloway said...

Interesting that you can’t yet cross that seemingly soft border yet I’m about to board a flight to come to Canada from so far away. Also, frankly, from a country whose Covid situation is not the greatest. How arbitrary these decisions and rules are. I hope you can get there soon.

hg said...

What a great point you make, Pam. The whole thing seems ironic, yes -- and maybe if you think about that cheeky might-be-smuggling squirrel, perhaps a little bit nuts!