Monday, February 01, 2021

Yes, it's real.

The other day, walking home from an appointment uptown, I passed a building with a multitude of tiny roses clinging to the branches of one of the bushes there. 

I couldn't resist taking a couple of photos, and must admit, I couldn't resist the temptation to steal one. 

When I got home, I put it into a little vase and set it on the windowsill above the kitchen sink. I figured, with my pair of my brass swans standing guard, it could serve as a little reminder of hope. 

But the little rose wasn't quite enough to bring the miracle I'd been hoping for. 

My sister-in-law, a New Yorker for many years, was hospitalized with the virus on January 8th. Shortly thereafter she was put on a respirator and moved to the ICU where she was monitored. 

She had no underlying conditions. Was never a smoker.

With help from her son (and Zoom), at least we were able to say I love you, I love you. 

But yesterday we received word that her heart finally gave out. 

If only the people who claim this disease is a hoax could be part of our story, they might be able to let the truth sink in. 

This killer virus is real -- sadly, all too real for us. 

 

7 comments:

Janet Vickers said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Heidi. What a tragedy. Much love and condolences to your family.

hg said...

Thank you, dear Janet. Tragedy is what it feels like, to be sure. One that might have been prevented if leadership in protecting the population hadn't been nonexistent.

love shayari in roman english said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
love shayari in roman english said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
love shayari in roman english said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
love shayari in roman english said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
love shayari in roman english said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.