Saturday, May 30, 2020

A little bit country...


...a little bit wild.

And that's how I like our yard to look.

Sure, the grass, complete with clover and buttercups, gets mowed now and then, but there are spots where I like nature to do the landscaping.

This wild rose has been here since the last century (the 20th is the one I mean, but who knows), as have the daisies, which have now inched their way into what passes for lawn.

Today was particularly dark and rainy, so I took refuge in a nap, and also in the pages of a book, where I was lucky enough to find what feels like a timely reminder. It's from a collection of writings gathered by Graeme Gibson, and from an author named Aldo Leopold who, in turn, cites yet another famed writer, Thoreau: "In wildness is the salvation of the world."

We can use some wildness, not the riot-in-the-streets kind, but the wild of wilderness, from which we all come.

No comments: